Monday, April 16, 2007

violence.

When I heard about those shootings at Virginia Tech. after school today, I felt like I was going to throw up.

It makes me sick. It makes me sick how people can have access to firearms like this at all. I don't care about self-defence or revenge, this shouldn't happen and it seems to be getting worse and worse. It would be a bad decision to be paranoid about this, being a student in a high school. One of the teachers at our school covered all the windows in the doors of her classroom with newspaper, but I'd like to think that paranoia comes from mistrust and ignorance. I don't believe in living in fear for no reason. I'm not afraid but I am concerned. I'm concerned that violence is happening more and more often, that guns are becoming more and more acceptable.

It infuriates me even more when I hear people using this as an excuse to validate people carrying firearms for self-defence. This is not an arms race, if only these people had no access to weapons in the first place. People need to take something from this, certainly the Bush administration needs to extract something from it. Why are people becoming so isolated and depressed and violent that they are willing to take a gun and murder innocent people? As much as it's encouraging, I don't believe that praying will slow down a culture becoming more and more violent.

And when the president imagines God giving him advice, he must be imagining some crazy bullshit, because I know this is not the direction the United States should be going.

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Well said, Hilary, and well-thought. I found myself nodding in agreement with each sentence I read.

"And when the president imagines God giving him advice, he must be imagining some crazy bullshit, because I know this is not the direction the United States should be going." - that would make an excellent quote of the day. May I?

hilary m. said...

Thanks, I'm glad I sound somewhat coherent, I was pretty upset when I wrote that. =)

I would have no problem with that being the quote of the day.